Skip to main content

on purpose (busy woman)

I'll work
until I'm no longer able
walk
until I'm no longer able
Speak this written language I've come to trust more than memory.
keep secrets I've long forgotten, including my own.
and mama, I've got so many.
make mountains out of mohills,
see I already know balance doesn't exist -
and how irrational it is to search for it.
--I stay up late, later than what you think late is,
later than that, motherfucker.
next day carry out the impossible,
surviving on just caffeine and sugary treats.
blame my headache on the drop in barometric pressure
I tell people when they ask, I'm delicate like that.
except that I'm not.
All I really ever aim for is freedom, to be set free.
from my first breath, I've only belonged to myself....
until my last, I'll only belong to you..
until then, expect this:
snickering
toile
crying hard
misbehaving
smoking
planning
dreaming
watching trees
missing the ocean
misreading gestures,
until I'm no longer able.
with most my life behind,
mulled over.
but this year,
this age,
this time,
is not yet the time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

snakewalker

each day I see this guy - on my way home from work. he's this odd young man, he wears a wife-beater, long shorts, bandana, but that's not the odd thing. . . . he dons a yellow snake with faint brownish spots around his neck. a fat snake, really long too. in his right hand, a leash, attached to a pit bull. they all seem to froth at the mouth. today he looked me right in the eye, even though I'm in my car making a right hand turn as speedy as possible. and I what I want is to get rid of that image. odd huh.

Glossy

my eyes are shut against this high-rise window seat I can't hear the cars with them closed this way, but I can hear how they tread the wet december with them open and I just know your eyes are closed but you know I'm out here moving along the mud with my tongue dragging behind me eating the words you leave out the words you don't say you are a devil I hate myself for doing that but I am so exquisite in that dead-walk pathetic and hollow tv watcher maybe devil, that's why you stopped looking my way.

a letter

for isabelle to read when she is older - This is a letter for you; events that took place over the course of a few days that you and I spent together. August 28th, 2006, you were about 13 months old or so, and just delicious. We went home to see your grandpa, my dad. I had not taken full care of a baby since years and years. But there we were, and I'm like trying to figure out again how to administer your tylenol without choking you to death in the process. And I have to remember you get hungry more often than I would, and that your food has to be cut smaller than the size of your trachea so you don't choke to death. Also your diaper filled up quick because you drank lots of liquids constantly like your daddy. I want you to know how much I held you close to me and said I love you over and again. For two days in Eden with grandpa, the three of us visited and had so much fun. Dad and I were in awe of your intelligence and also that you were so funny. You liked to whisper words on